Belgrade is full of famous and interesting churches, monasteries and places of worship of different confessions to visit and admire. In the Belgrade area and its surroundings it is possible to see lots of monasteries built at the end of the XV century or later, demolished and rebuilt several times, and mostly renewed in recent years. There are also several Roman Catholic churches, one synagogue, one mosque and several places of worship of other confessions.
Belgrade Orthodox Cathedral (Saborna Crkva)
Knez Sime Markovica 3, tel: 011 636 684
Saborna Crkva was built between 1837 and 1840 by order of Prince Knez Miloš Obrenović, it is a richly decorated Classicist church with late baroque elements located Kneza Sime Markovica street in a wonderful neighborhood. The church is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel and it was erected on the site of an older church dating from 1728. Saborna Crkva has been demolished and restored a number of times. The interior is richly decorated and the treasury of the church is especially valuable with its collection of ancient icons and sumptuously adorned works of art in gold (dated from the 17th to the 20th century). Inside the church is possible to see also the tombs of the Serbian sovereigns Miloš and Mihailo Obrenović. Moreover in the churchyard are buried two outstanding figures of Serbian culture – Dositej Obradović and Vuk Stefanović Karadžić.
Temple of St. Sava (Hram Svetog Save)
Vračar Plateau, www.hramsvetogsave.com
Temple of St. Sava is located in Vračarski plato, it is dedicated to St. Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church and one of the most important figures in the history of medieval Serbia. It is one of the biggest Orthodox churches in the world. It is beautiful white structure located in the street Krusedolska, just behind Slavija square. This temple was built in the town Vračar in a place where they assumed they were incinerated the remains of the saint by the Ottoman Turks in 1595, however it is one of the most modern temples since its construction began in 1985. Construction was halted due to the outbreak of World War II and the bombing of Belgrade, followed by the time of Tito’s communist Yugoslavia, construction was only resumed in 1985. The interior height of the temple, from the floor to the top of its dome, is 65 meters, while the outside height with the cross is 79 meters. The temple has three choir galleries with capacity for 700 choir members each, as well as an observation gallery. The ground floor and galleries of the temple can house 10,000 people. Because of its dominant position in Belgrade's cityscape, it represents the most monumental building in the city, walking around it as the entire plato has now been reconstructed and it is possible to enjoy a beautiful landscape.
Church of St. Nikolaj (Nikolajevska)
Njegoševa 43, Zemun
The Church of St. Nikolaj is located at the old historical center of Zemun below the mediaeval Gardoš fortress. It was built from 1725 to 1731 in baroque style, as a single-naved building with a two-storied bell-tower. It is decorated with a richly carved iconostasis, bearing icons painted in 1762 by Dimitrije Bačević (one of the most famous Serbian painters at that time). Moreover one of the most valuable collections of old cultic objects, a collection of XVIII and XIX-century icons as well as the relics of Saint Apostle Andrew, the First-called, are kept inside this church.
Church of the Ascension (Vaznesenjska)
The Church of the Ascension is located in Admirala Geprata Street. It was built in 1863 by order of Prince Mihailo Obrenović, for the soldiers from the Grand Barracks located nearby. The bell tower contains several bells, including the one that sounded for the first time on the Cathedral Church in 1830 when the Principality of Serbia gained its autonomy.
Church of St. Mark (Crkva Svetog Marka)
Bulevar kralja Aleksandra 17
The Church of St. Mark is located in the centre of Belgrade’s Tašmajdan Park. It was built between 1931 and 1940 on the site of an old church from 1835. The Church was designed by the architects Petar and Branko Krstić. The style is Serbian-Byzantine and the plan of this temple is reminiscent of the architecture of the Gračanica monastery. The south section of the nave contains the sarcophagus with the bones of the Serbian Emperor Dušan, moved here from his legacy monastery of the Saint Archangels at Prizren. Furthermore the church contains one of the richest collections of Serbian icons from the 18th and 19th century.
Church of St. Alexander Nevsky
Cara Dusana 63
Church of St. Alexander Nevsky is located in Cara Dušana Street. The first ideas for building a church in Dorćol arose in 1876, during the stopover of the Russian volunteer soldiers of General Chernyayev. The mobile military chapel dedicated to the Russian saint Alexander Nevsky was brought to Belgrade, and a larger temple was constructed on the same spot in 1929, designed by the architect Jelisaveta Načić. The marble iconostasis is a donation from King Alexander I Karageorgevich.
Church of St. Anton
The Catholic church of St. Anton of Padua is located in Bregalnička Street. It was built eight decades ago and is one of the most beautiful works of the famous Slovene architect Jožef Plečnik. It is known for the tower, tilted by 45 degrees against its foundations since 1960, and thus often compared to the leaning tower of Pisa. It is a county church operated by the Franciscans from the Bosnian province. It was erected in honour of St. Anton at the 700th anniversary of his death and it houses a statue of St. Anton, 275 cm tall, created for the main altar by the famous sculptor Ivan Meštrović in 1955.
Church of St. Petka (Crvka Svete Petke)
The Church of St. Petka Church is located in the Upper Town of Belgrade Kalemegdan Fortress. It was built on top of a spring that is believed to be miraculous, on the site of an old chapel built in 1867. The current chapel was built in 1937 to the design of architect Momir Korunović. Its interior walls and arches are covered with mosaics, created between 1980 and 1983 by artist Đuro Radulović. When the foundations were being dug, numerous bones were found belonging to Serbian soldiers who had perished in the defence of Belgrade 1914-1915, which were transferred to a specially-built ossuary in the walls beneath Jakšić’s Tower.
Monastery of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin Mother
Vasilija Gaćeše 8
The monastery is located in Vasilija Gaćeše. It was built from 1936 to 1937 as endowment building of Persa Milenković, according to the design of the architect Pera Popović. The church was built in the traditional style of Serbian mediaeval architecture: designed as a monumental five-domed temple with cross-like foundation. Inside it paintings in the secco technique from about 1975 by the painter-conservator Dušan Mihajlović. The Monastery contains the Chapel of St. Nicholas with a woodcut iconostasis and icons from the period between the 18th and 20th century. The St. Nicholas' Chapel has been built within the lodging, which has been raised along with construction of the church. The graves of the Church dignitaries are kept in the monastery yard: Josip the metropolitan of Skopje, Dositej the metropolitan of Zagreb, Arsenije the metropolitan of Budim and Damaskin the metropolitan of Zagreb.
Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel
Patrijarha Dimitrija 34
The Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel is located in Patrijarha Dimitrija. It was built in the XIV century, and the records of it exist since the XVI century. It has been destroyed and rebuilt several times. The church is designed in the Morava school's style: the base is three-leafed with annex and with two external six-sided domes. The old iconostasis was replaced in 1862 with a new, carved one, financed by Knez Mihailo Obrenović. The iconostasis was repaired at the beginning of the XX century with new icons made by the monk and painter Rafailo Momčilović. The monastery has a precious collection of items, such as an important collection of XVII to XIX-century books. Morevoer inside the Church there are the family crypts of Jevrem Obrenović and general Milivoje Blaznavac, while outside is the tombstone of the Serbian duke and insurrectionist Vasa Čarapić. In the yard, there are graves of Naum Ičko, Patriarch Dimitrije, Sebastijan Roš and other famous Serbian figures.
Monastery of St. Gabriel the Archangel
Gradski park bb, Zemun
This Church is located Gradski park bb, Zemun. It was built in 1786 by order of Teodor Toša Apostolović from Thessaloniki, an important manufacturer of wax, soap and candles. Initially the church served as a quarantine at the border between Turkey and Austria. The iconostasis, carved in wood and gold-plated, has been made in baroque style, and the icons were made by the painters of Zemun, Dimitrije Bratoglić and his assistant Konstantin Lukić in 1830-1831.
Maršala Birjuzova 19
The Belgrade Synagogue is located in the centre of Belgrade in Maršala Birjuzova Street. Nowadays it is the sole active Jewish temple in the whole Serbia. It was opened in the summer of 1926 and sanctified by the Rabbi Shlang. It was built on the grounds purchased from the City of Belgrade by the Society of Belgrade Ashkenazi Jews. According to the official plans, the building was to contain a synagogue, ritual baths, a school, offices of the Society and apartments for employees. The synagogue serves the small community of Sephardic Jews who still live in Belgrade, having survived the holocaust. Services are regularly held on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings, as well as during Hebrew festivities.
Mosque Bairakli (Bajrakli Dzamija)
Gospodar Jevremova 11, tel. 2622428
The Bajrakli Mosque is located in Jevremova Gospodar street. It is the sole remaining active mosque in Belgrade, it was built around 1575 as one of the 273 mosques and masjids in existence in Belgrade during Turkish times. This mosque is supposed to be the oldest standing building in Belgrade. The Bajrakli Mosque is a single-room building with a dome and minaret. During the Austrian rule, between 1717 and 1739, it was turned into a Catholic church (most of Belgrade’s mosques were demolished at that time). Upon the return of the Turks it became a mosque once more. At the end of the XVIII century it was named Bajrakli Mosque after the flag which has been raised as a sign for simultaneous beginning of prayers in all mosques. Following its renewal in the XIX century it became the main city mosque.