Belgrade is city easy to explore by foot or using the network of public means of transport. Belgrade transportation network includes trams, trolleybuses, buses and taxis. The best way to discover any city is walking or riding a bicycle (but Belgrade city centre is not a great place for bikes). However, there are other places in the city where cycling is highly popular. Such areas include Ada Ciganlija Lake, Kalemegdan Park, Košutnjak Hill and Danube and Sava River Bank.
CITY PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Belgrade city public transport company is GSP "Beograd" but there are also bus services run by private companies, on around 130 routes.
Single tickets can be purchased both at public transport vehicles (from the driver), at kiosks with a ticket sales sing or at GSP points-of-sale. Remember that tickets bought at kiosks are cheaper than those bought in vehicles and Tickets for night services (00-04) are more expensive. Night transport routes differ from the routes of daytime services and combine several routes which serve particular parts of town and suburban areas. For further information contact Belgrade City Transport Company www.gsp.co.rs
Moreover there are express minibus services which are a little less cheap, but also more comfortable and faster since they do not stop at every bus stop.
PARKING IN BELGRADE
Like the majority of European metropolises, also in Belgrade the lack of parking area and the traffic are two annoying problems. Parking area in Belgrade city center are divided in three zones where parking time is limited and payment is made for each full or incomplete hour:
- Red zone - maximum 1 hour
- Yellow zone - maximum 2 hours
- Green zone - maximum 3 hours
Parking is payable in all three zones on week days from 07.00-21.00 and Saturdays from 07.00 and 14.00. Payment methods for parking in the three zones are:
- Parking tickets - these are purchased at kiosks and other points of sale. The time of arrival should be written on the ticket and it should be displayed on the inside of the windscreen.
- Parking ticket machines (only in the red zone) - machines selling parking tickets take coins and electronic parking cards
- Mobile phone - by sending an SMS containing the registration number of the vehicle (for example BG123456, without spaces) to 9111, 9112 or 9113 (depending on the zone), from any mobile network. Confirmation that payment has been made by SMS.
TAXIS IN BELGRADE
Taxis in Belgrade are cheap and safe, ideal for tourists. Just remember to check if the taxi driver starts the taximeter correctly. Taxi in Belgrade have not a compulsory color but they have to carry a blue city taxi sign on the roof as well as the designation of their taxi company.
Here a list of the most common Taxi companies:
- Akademac taksi, 2417-022
- Alfa taksi, 9807
- Beogradski, 9801
- Euro gold taksi, 9806
- Ekonomik taksi, 397-3327
- Lux taxi, 303-3123
- Maksis taksi, 9804
- Naksi taksi, 2157-668
- NBA taksi, 3185-777
- City taxi, 394-0022
RENT A CAR
Here a selection of companies that rent car in Belgrade:
- ALLIANCE - Makedonska 30 (www.alliance-rent-a-car.com)
- AUTO-RENT - Nikola Tesla Airport (www.carrental.co.yu)
- AVIS - Nikola Tesla Airport (www.avis-serbia.com)
- BUDGET - Nikola Tesla Airport (www.budget.co.yu)
- EUROPCAR - Nikola Tesla Airport (www.europcar.co.yu)
- HERTZ - Nikola Tesla Airport (www.hertz.co.yu)
- MASTERCAR - Svetog Save 1 (www.mastercar.co.yu)
- NATIONAL CAR RENTAL - Nikola Tesla Airport (www.nationalcar-scg.com)
- STAR CAR - Bul. Arsenija Čarnojevića 66 (www.starcar.co.yu)